Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Discipline for Myself

I don't know about you, but I sure spoiled myself this Christmas! I slept in instead of getting up to exercise. I ate way more food than I care to admit. I lounged in my pjs and showered late. My kids were spoiled too. They got to watch all their favorite shows over and over and sneak in some Christmas cookies at times I would normally never allow. But I don't regret it - not one bit! We all needed a break from the daily grind to celebrate the season.

But now the tree is down. (I have a toddler, so I couldn't wait to get Christmas decorations put away!) I had a protein shake for breakfast instead of biscuits and gravy and diet coke. I staggered to my gym shoes at 5 am and headed out for a workout. We're still celebrating with pjs though. I must say that it felt good to do all of those regular routine things this morning. A little bit of indulgence feels good, but so does a little discipline. Thankfully, God is calling us to a life with both!

Deuteronomy 8:5 says, "Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you."

If you have a kid of any age, you know how crazy they can get without a routine and a little discipline from mom and dad. Just imagine what would happen if you let them do whatever they wanted all the time without consequence! The same is true with us. God molds us with his discipline because He knows we need it and that it's good for us. As the season for non-discipline and indulgence comes to a close, try to view the daily grind as a loving gift from the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment